Community Living Advocate
Posted on June 10, 2020
Funded by a Federal CARES Grant ending September 29, 2021 with no guarantee of continued position funding. The Community Living Advocate (CLA) will provide community living services such as: housing assistance, personal assistant connection, transportation access, emergency preparedness, etc. to consumers of all ages and disabilities. The CLA will also represent the organization on committees and community groups and may provide trainings and presentations.
Site Location: Santa Barbara Office
Hourly Rate: $16.00/hr
Reporting Supervisor: Not Specified
Stress Level: Not Specified
Employment Status: Full-Time
Filing Deadline Date: June 16, 2020
About the Organization
The Independent Living Resource Center (ILRC) is a disability focused non-profit providing services and advocacy to those experiencing all disabilities, of all ages, and all income levels. Our mission is to promote independent living and full access for individuals with disabilities through advocacy, education and action in our communities. The organization has been based in Santa Barbara since it opened in 1976 and serves the Central Coast Counties of; Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo. Services are provided by utilizing a team approach where the consumer is an active member in their goal attainment. Services provided by the organization include; Housing, Personal Assistance, Interpreting, Peer Support, Assistive Technology, Youth Transition, Older Individuals who are Blind Program, Advocacy, and Emergency Preparedness. ILRC is actively engaged in all of our counties.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Conduct consumer intake procedures and needs assessments.
- Provide independent living skills training (ILS) to enable consumers to achieve housing, transportation, in-home care, disaster preparedness and self-advocacy goals.
- Identify and utilize communication techniques which facilitate consumers' ability to communicate information, needs and goals.
- Document all services provided and submit them on a timely basis.
- Draft written Independent Living Plan goals with all consumers or obtain waiver and monitor, follow-up on consumers' progress.
- Create consumer files and document all services as provided and update on a timely basis.
- Advocate with consumers when access rights are limited or denied.
- Maintain housing resource information for referral to consumers and assist consumers in their application process to available housing programs.
- Recruit, interview, and check references of potential Personal Assistants (PAs) for referral to consumers and maintain a database of available PA's.
- Refer no less than 3 prescreened PAs to consumers per request.
- Refer consumers to resources and support programs that will enhance their independence.
- Identify and assist consumers who wish to explore transition to the community from nursing facilities and coordinate services.
- Serve on Committees to promote Systems Advocacy in the areas of housing, transportation, and Personal Assistance and keep in the know of area issues.
- Provide trainings and public presentations.
- Utilize and follow ILRC policy, procedure and service provision manuals.
- Participate fully as a member of a working team and promote harmonious working relationships.
- Conduct agency business in a professional manner.
Familiarity with social, emotional and economic issues facing persons w/disabilities
- Familiarity with human services programs affecting persons w/disabilities of all ages
- Motivating interest in disability/independent living field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 2 years experience working with persons with disabilities with emphasis in the areas of advocacy, housing assistance, and community access issues
- Ability to implement training and Independent Living model of service delivery
- Ability to meet deadlines for interoffice paperwork such as time-sheets, etc.
- Computer literate in MS Office, Google Drive, email, internet research, and data entry
- Reliable personal vehicle for work travel
- Ethical work practices: honest, dependable, team-oriented
Personal experience with disability
- Bilingual English/Spanish or English/ASL
How to Apply
Submit your resumé (in Microsoft Word format) to Dani Anderson: firstname.lastname@example.org